Yet again, I had to rush through my quiet time to get ready for class this morning. I felt a temporary twinge of guilt for cutting this time short. But I did nothing about it. In fact, I did it the next day and the next day and the day after that.
Why do I struggle to make the Lord a priority? Shouldn’t I want to make Him first in my life? After all, He has done so many good things for me. Shouldn’t I desire to do something good for Him?
From what I have observed, there seems to be three main reasons why we struggle to make (and keep) God first in our lives:
- We’re human. Unfortunately, we all have a sin nature. Because of this sin nature, we constantly desire to make ourselves happy and fulfill our selfish goals.
- We’re distracted by worldly things. Our culture has so many attractive things to offer and promises to satisfy if we chase its temporary pleasures.
- We’re not making an effort. Instead of praying for God’s strength and setting goals to lay aside distractions, we sometimes don’t even try to change our sinful habits.
We can blame our sin nature or our culture, or we can take responsibility for our actions and realize that we often don’t try to change our priorities. Maybe the reason we don’t have time to read our Bibles, pray, go to church, fellowship, or serve others is because we aren’t making time for those activities. To be honest, I usually don’t make time for these activities either.
I’ve noticed some of these trends in my life, and perhaps you may recognize some of them in your life, too:
- I don’t have time to read a few chapters of the Bible, but I do have time to check my email twenty times a day.
- I don’t have time to help a friend who is struggling, but I do have time to sleep in.
- I don’t have time to confess the sins in my life, but I do have time to make sure my homework assignment is perfect.
- I don’t have time to sing praises to God, but I do have time to style my hair and pick out a cute outfit.
My priorities are completely out of whack! By the activities I choose, I’m admitting that almost everything in my life is more important than Christ. How can I say such a thing?
Want to see more? Please click here to keep reading! 🙂